Want to build native Mac OS X applications with a sleek, developer-friendly alternative to Objective-C? MacRuby is an ideal choice. This in-depth guide shows you how Apple’s implementation of Ruby gives you access to all the features available to Objective-C programmers. You’ll get clear, detailed explanations of MacRuby, including quick programming techniques such as prototyping.
Perfect for programmers at any level, this book is packed with code samples and complete project examples. If you use Ruby, you can tap your skills to take advantage of Interface Builder, Cocoa libraries, the Objective-C runtime, and more. If you’re a Cocoa developer, you’ll learn how to improve your productivity with MacRuby.
- Get up to speed on MacRuby basics, including classes and methods
- Learn how to use MacRuby with Apple’s Xcode developer suite
- Delve into the primitive object classes and data types in Foundation Kit
- Build event-driven user interfaces with the AppKit framework
- Handle relational object persistence with the Core Data framework
- Use advanced MacRuby techniques, including concurrency and sandboxing
- Get examples for applications using Twitter and a location web service
- Embed MacRuby into existing Objective-C applications